About Helford Marine Conservation
The Helford Voluntary Marine Conservation Area was designated in 1987 to help protect and enhance the rich and varied marine life of this internationally important site.
Many people with a direct interest in the river including sailors, landowners, fishermen, councillors, students and marine biologists, and representatives of various organisations, both statutory and non-statutory, work together locally throughout the year to promote the sustainable use of this sensitive area.
The voluntary approach to the conservation of the Helford River has been upheld by an Advisory Group, the Helford Marine Conservation Group, which meets quarterly and still includes members of the original team as well as representatives of many other organisations and people linked to the river.
- Chairman - Mr David Muirhead MBE
- Vice-Chairman - Mr David Thomson
- Treasurer - Mr Ian Jakeways
- Co-ordinator - Charlotte Marshall
- Scientific Adviser - Dr. Pam Tompsett
- Scientific Adviser - Mrs Stella Turk MBE
- Scientific Adviser - Prof. David Nichols